This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Read our affiliate disclosure to learn more.
Are you looking for a stylish and affordable way to add storage to your desk or other work area? Making your own custom pen and phone holder can be an easy solution to improve the organisation of your work space. But this project does not have to be expensive. Follow the steps below, and you can learn how to make a pen holder and phone holder from waste paper you may already have around your home or office.
- 20-30 sheets of waste paper
- Liquid glue
- Cut a sheet of waste paper into a 10 x 19 cm rectangle.
- Place a pencil or pen alongside one of the short ends of your rectangle.
- Carefully roll the paper around the pencil until you have formed a tight cylinder. Carefully remove the cylinder from the pencil and glue the edges of the paper so that the cylinder keeps its shape.
- Repeat steps 1-3 until you have 74 equally-sized cylinders.
- Glue the cylinders together in groups of 8, attaching them along the length of each cylinder. This should create 9 equally sized panels with 2 remaining cylinders leftover.
- Glue the remaining 2 cylinders together along the length of each cylinder. Set this panel and one of the 8-piece panels aside for later.
- Glue four of the panels together to create a cube-like shape. The cube will not have a top or bottom at this stage.
- Repeat step 7 to create a second cube-like shape with the remaining four 8-piece panels.
- Take the 8-piece panel you set aside, and apply glue across both of the short ends of the panel. Use this piece to attach the back-right corner of one cube to the back-left corner of the other.
- Take the 2-piece panel you set aside, and apply glue across both of the short ends of the panel. Use this piece to attach the front-right corner of the left cube to the front-left corner of the right cube.
- Cut a rectangle out of the cardboard measuring 6.5 x 26 cm. Use waste paper and glue to wrap the entirety of the cut cardboard.
- Glue the wrapped cardboard to the underside of the piece. This will act as the base of your pen and phone holder.
- Decorate your holder with paint, beads, or other embellishments to match your style.
If you followed along with these step-by-step instructions, you should now be able to make a pen holder and phone holder from waste paper! Have fun with this project, and be sure to add your own style and flair.